Special Olympics Maryland is made possible by the time and energy of dedicated volunteers.
Volunteers come from across the state and from all walks of life to support over 7,000 athletes in many different ways. Everyone from high school and college students, to professionals and retired individuals have found their place in our many programs. Whether you are looking for a one-time opportunity, or a more consistent experience, Special Olympics Maryland will provide a fulfilling experience for all involved.
Ready to get off the sidelines as a volunteer for Special Olympics Maryland? Visit our Volunteer Portal to process your volunteer application and create an account to search and sign up for jobs.
Sports and Competition:
Sports and Competition volunteers get the privilege of seeing Special Olympics Maryland athletes show off their skills and compete! A variety of jobs are available, and no previous sports experience is needed to contribute to our events. Click on the event name to register as an event volunteer for any of these great events.
- Interscholastic Unified Indoor Bocce State Championships: February 22, 2017 – Hagerstown Community College
- High School teams from Western Maryland will travel to Hagerstown Community College to compete for the state championships in Indoor Bocce. Athletes with and without disabilities will compete on teams together building lasting friendships and inclusive schools.
- 2017 Winter Games: February 27-28, 2017 – Whitetail Ski Resort, Mercersburg, PA
- The FASTEST Special Olympics Maryland competition on 2 skis! Join athletes from across the state as they go for the gold in our annual Winter Games! Competitions will be held in Alpine Skiing and Snow Shoeing. No winter-sports experience is needed.
- State Basketball Championships March 25-26 – Various Locations, Frederick, MD
- Be part of SOMD’s March Madness with Special Olympics Maryland’s State Basketball Championships. Volunteer at one of four different sites in competitions including Individual Skills Competition, 3v3, 5v5, and Unified Basketball. No basketball experience is necessary.
- Baltimore City Spring Games May 3, 4, and 5- Poly-Western High School, Baltimore, MD
- Baltimore City Public School Students will compete in their year-end track and field event. Students with disabilities will compete in various races and field events. Volunteers are needed to work the start and finish line, as well as work as timers, stagers, and throwing vector assistants.
- Interscholastic Unified Track and Field State Championships May 9-10- Prince George’s County Sports and Learning Complex, Hyattsville, MD
- Students with and without disabilities will compete on the same team, representing their high school for the state Track and Field Championship. Volunteers are needed to work the start and finish line, as well as work as timers, stagers, and throwing vector assistants.
- Interscholastic Unified Outdoor Bocce Championships May 16- Washington College, Chestertown, MD
- Students with and without disabilities will compete on the same team, representing their high school for the state Outdoor Bocce Championship. Volunteers are needed to work as on-court officials and assistants. No bocce experience is needed.
Special Events Volunteers make our program possible! By helping Special Olympics Maryland raise awareness and funds at special events throughout the year, they ensure our programs will be free to any athletes and families who want to participate.
State Office Volunteer Opportunities:
Staff Support Volunteers work closely with Special Olympics Maryland Staff Members to support the administration of our program. These opportunities are great ways to use your professional skills while working in a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
- Donor Database Manager: SOMD is currently seeking a detail-oriented individual to assist the development team in their management of the Donor Database and financial gift reporting. This volunteer will work closely with the Vice President of Donor Relations to assist with batching daily cash receipts, generating donation acknowledgement, verifying matching gift requests, and assisting with database management operations to ensure accuracy. Work schedule is flexible, but must be done on-site during regular business hours. You are able to set your own schedule base on availability. If you are an interested, CLASS A Volunteer— or are willing to be come one for the position, please email email@example.com
- Volunteer Management Assistant: SOMD is currently seeking a energetic individual to assist with the volunteer and family programs. This volunteer will work closely with the Senior Director of Volunteer Management and Family Services Coordinator to maintain the Family Database and Volunteer Registration System (VSys). This project requires attention to detail. Work is flexible, but preferably done during regular office hours. You are able to set your own schedule based on availability. If you are an interested, CLASS A Volunteer— or are willing to become one, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registration Assistant: SOMD is currently seeking a detail-oriented individual to assist our Registration Coordinator in the management and maintenance of our application archive. This volunteer will work closely with the Registration Coordinator and Senior Director for Operations to process, sort, and verify archived volunteer and athlete applications. This project requires a strong attention to detail and very strict confidentiality. Work is flexible, but preferably done during regular office hours. You are able to set your own schedule based on availability. If you are an interested, CLASS A Volunteer— or are willing to become on, please contact email@example.com
State Committees & Local Program Leadership Opportunities:
State Committee and Local Program Leadership Volunteers are dedicated individuals who support our program through the administration and direction of our programs throughout the year. These opportunities usually require at least a 1-year commitment to our program.
- Baltimore County Development Coordinator: Special Olympics Maryland- Baltimore County is seeking an enthusiastic fundraiser to fill the position of Development Coordinator and serve on their local management team. Reporting to the Baltimore County Area Director and Baltimore Region Program Director, the Development Coordinator will support the growth of the Special Olympics in Baltimore county through strategic fundraising initiatives including special events, giving campaigns, grants, and sponsorship. All efforts will be in close collaboration with the the Special Olympics Maryland Development Department. Interested individuals should have a passion and desire to support the athletes of Special Olympics Maryland, an understanding of our programmatic offerings, and exemplary interpersonal communication. It is preferred that the Development Coordinator have experience in fundraising and solid technology skills. Interested individuals should send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Social Media Ambassadors: Help us spread the message of Special Olympics Maryland and all the athletes, volunteers, coaches and families. We are seeking individuals to share and re-tweet some of our social media messages so we can have a greater impact in our Maryland community. You can help us reach more people just by sharing some of our postings. Once you sign up we will send you notifications of social media postings that you can help us push out to your circle of friends and family. We will offer sample messages for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. with a picture if applicable. You may use our wording or your own. Email Vice President of Communications and Brand Management, Jason Schriml, email@example.com
- Production Team: If you have previous experience in video production as a videographer, story writer, or editor, we want you on the Special Olympics Maryland Video Production Team! Partnering with Towson University Athletic Department, we will be producing a quarterly news show highlighting the lives and accomplishments of Special Olympics Maryland Athletes. Previous experience is preferred. If you are interested in helping us spread the word of Special Olympics Maryland, Email the Vice President of Communications and Brand Management, Jason Schriml, firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Olympics Maryland offers meaningful experiences to college students in a wide variety of academic programs. Supervised by a highly experienced Special Olympics staff member, SOMD College Interns will complete projects directly linked to desired learning outcomes to their current curriculum. SOMD College Interns will also compile a portfolio of work and reflections to capture their experience. This portfolio will serve as a useful resource in future interviews and jobs. College Students seeking for-credit college internships should visit our Employment Page to view available positions. Contact the Sr. Director of Volunteers, Jeff Abel (email@example.com) for more information.
Matching Gifts for Volunteer Hours
Did you know that some companies offer matching gift donations in exchange for volunteer employee hours? Click here to see if your company participates.