Volunteer: Code of Conduct
As a Special Olympics Maryland volunteer, I agree that while serving as a volunteer, I will:
- Provide for the general welfare, health and safety of all Special Olympics Maryland athletes and volunteers.
- Dress and act in an appropriate manner at all times.
- Follow the established rules and guidelines of Special Olympics Maryland, Special Olympics, Inc. and/or any agency involved with Special Olympics Maryland.
- Report any emergencies to the appropriate authorities after first taking immediate action to ensure the health and safety of the participants.
- Abstain from transporting, storing and/or consuming alcoholic beverages, tobacco products and/or illegal substances when responsible for the safety and well being of athletes. Special Olympics Maryland prohibits consumption of alcohol and tobacco during events (24 hours a day) by athletes and by anyone with athlete responsibilities at a Special Olympics event. Consumption of alcohol, tobacco and/or illegal substances shall not be permitted at any Special Olympics competition venue or training site.
- Not engage in any inappropriate contact or relationship, including but not limited to, any sexual contact or sexual relationship with athletes, volunteers or other participants of Special Olympics Maryland, Inc.
- Honor the Special Olympics Coach Oath.
- For coaches, adhere to the Coaches’ Responsibilities as established by SOMD.
To view our Volunteer Screening Policy, click here.