Special Olympics Maryland’s Values
The following six values guide all decisions and actions taken by staff, volunteers and athletes.
- Community: We attempt to connect our athletes with their local COMMUNITY as much as possible. We use community facilities; we generate local publicity, and we portray the athletes and their families as local heroes. Connections and bridges are formed.
- Friendships: We encourage FRIENDSHIPS among athletes and families throughout Special Olympics. We also encourage friendships with athletes without disabilities through their commonality of sport. The goal is friendships for life.
- Integrity: Athletes develop INTEGRITY by doing the “right thing”.
- Opportunity: All Special Olympics stakeholders are given the OPPORTUNITY to excel.
- Quality: in all we do.
- Sportsmanship: We follow the rules of the game by demonstrating good SPORTSMANSHIP and fairness for all.
Special Olympics Athlete’s Oath
“Let me win; but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.”